reading 1: Harriet E. Wilson’s Our Nig
Reading 2: Alcott’s novel Work: A Story of Experience
Write a well-developed analysis of Work (approx. 600 words) that responds to the following question: Is work linked to Christie’s sense of self and self-worth? Your analysis should have a thesis that is supported with at least one close reading of a specific passage from the novel.
- To help you develop your thesis and interpretation, you might also consider some of these questions: What job does Christie have the most success in? Does work offer Christie opportunities to take on new identities? Does Alcott suggest a connection between hard work and moral goodness? What does Christie learn as she tries different jobs?
Task for Advanced Labor
Include a comparison to Frado in Our Nig in your analysis of Christie. How is Frado’s relationship to work similar or different to Christie’s? Your analysis should be supported with at least one close reading of a specific passage from each novel.
This assignment must be typed (single or double-spaced—your aesthetic preference) and uploaded to Canvas as a .pdf, .doc, .docx, or .rtf file. Use a first-page heading with your name, my name, course, and date. Give your assignment an original title.
Criteria for Grading
To earn a “Complete,” assignments must meet the following requirements:
- State your thesis in response to the question
- Develop your thesis with analysis of the novel’s political, historical, and cultural contexts and/or its formal properties, e.g. characterization, imagery, irony, theme, etc.
- Support your thesis with at least one close reading of a specific passage from the novel
- Include at least one quote from the novel, properly cited with an MLA parenthetical citation, e.g. “Quoted passage” (51).
- 1-2 well-developed paragraphs, minimum of 500 words total
To earn Advanced Labor credit, assignments must meet all of the above criteria, as well as the following criteria:
- Develop a comparison of Christie and Frado’s relationship to work
- Support your thesis with at least one close reading of a specific passage from Our Nig
- Demonstrate engagement with Wilson’s novel by using it to deepen your analysis and interpretation of Work
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."