In this exercise you will use yourreflective question sets and all the skills you have learned in theprevious exercises to write a full length, rule of three, historicalessay on the prompt below.
As a reminder, an analytical essay contains an introduction settingup the context (with a clear rule of three thesis statement as the lastsentence), three paragraphs of the body (in the same format as the oneparagraph assignment) – one for each key point in the thesis statement,and a conclusion.
A fractious 1860presidential election, disunion, and then war exposed the fault lines ofAmerican political and social discourse. In hindsight, it is apparentthat there were many events/factors that served to either pull thecountry together or push it apart from its earliest colonial experiencesthrough the events of the 1850s. In this essay, analyze these push-pullfactors of unity v division.
Hint1: Think broadly about concepts of unity and division first, you maywish to organize along the lines ofeconomic, social, and political factors (this may be easiest, althoughthere are many other ways to organize your thesis statement). Once youhave your overall “big picture” ideas in place, think about the specificand detailed historical evidence (facts) that will back up yourarguments. What primary documents have you read that address theseissues? Don’t forget the key individuals and events to use as evidence.Successful essays will consider a broad range of evidence in support ofarguments.
Hint2: You may wish to concept map or outline key factors first and thenpull out your three strongest arguments to develop more fully in theessay.
Requirements for the Final Essay
- Mustbe in Rule of Three format with a introduction and strong thesisstatement, 3 paragraphs of the body (each with their own thesisstatement – one for each of the three key points of your overallthesis), and conclusion. So a minimum of 5 paragraphs.
- This is a fact based essay, you must provide specific and detailed evidence for your hypotheses.
- Youmust utilize a minimum of three primary sources from the assignedmaterials (primary sources posted in the Blackboard course module ORfound under the primary source section of each chapter inAmerican Yawp only; you may not utilize sources linked to in thereference section of American Yawp) as evidence in your essay
- You must utilize a minimum of three secondary sources from the assigned materials as evidence in your essay
- Youmay only use materials assigned in this course for your essay (we havevetted all the materials utilized in this course, other materials maynot be appropriate or accurate). If you use outside sources your gradewill be docked.
- DO NOT QUOTE sources, paraphrase in your own words and cite
- You must consider ethics/ethical decision making in this essay
- Don’t forget about historical geography, where something takes place matters and it may be important to your argument.
- Youmust use Turabian citation style in this essay; all citations must befootnote style citations (no parenthetical cites allowed, noendnotes/works cited at the end, you need footnotes). Be sure to reviewhow to properly cite a primary source that may be contained in anotherwork and be sure to use page numbers where possible.
- 12 pt type, 1 inch margins, double-spaced
NOTE ON CITATIONS
CITATIONS are REQUIRED for this essay. You will lose points for failure to cite or incorrect style of citations.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."